Personal Injury

Criminal Injuries Compensation

If you suffer injury as a victim of a crime involving violence then you may be eligible to apply to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) for compensation.

Do I Qualify?

Although there are some limited exceptions, you will usually be eligible to make a claim to CICA if you meet the following criteria:

  • you are a UK resident 
  • a victim of a “crime involving violence” (a physical attack, a serious threat, sexual assault or arson) or were injured because you were reasonably trying to stop a crime or are a close relative of someone who died as a result of a violent crime
  • which happened in a relevant place (usually within the UK or British-controlled airplanes and ships but there are special rules for members of the UK armed forces) 
  • which was reported to the police as soon as is possible and you co-operated with them
  • you have suffered a personal injury – this can be a physical (like a broken leg) or a mental injury 
  • you are blameless (so, for example, you would be unlikely to receive an award if you provoked someone who then assaulted you)


If you have previous criminal convictions for an unconnected crime, then dependant on the sentence you were given, your compensation from the CICA could be reduced or withheld.

Can I claim criminal injuries compensation

The aim of a claim for compensation is to help put you in the position you would have been in if the injury hadn’t happened – as the government says, the CICA scheme is regarded as “society’s way of recognising that you have been a victim”. This means that you can claim different compensation for

- your pain and suffering

- your expenses and losses such as prolonged time off work (usually over 28 weeks), damaged clothing, travelling to medical appointments and even the cost of any medication.

The amount of compensation that you may be awarded will be based on levels set by the government (known as tariffs), primarily depending on

how badly you were injured 

how well you have recovered from your injuries

Time limits

The law says that you need to make your claim to the CICA within 2 years of the date of the crime although under 18’s have 2 years from their 18th birthday. However, it is best to get advice as soon as possible rather than leaving it until the last minute when it may be too late to complete the process. 

Not eligible for CICA

If your injuries are not serious enough to make a CICA claim (there are minimum payments of compensation that are awarded), for example if you are a very low paid worker who is temporarily unable to work because you have been a victim of a crime, you may be able to apply to the government run Hardship Fund – your solicitor will be able to advise you.

Dependant on the circumstances of your injuries you may be able to make a claim against someone else, for example, your employer if the incident happened at work.


Criminal solicitors can help you make a claim and advise you about the likelihood of a successful claim and the amount of compensation that you will be awarded. The solicitor will also discuss ways of funding your case with you, like “No win, no fee,” where you don’t have to pay your solicitor's costs unless you receive compensation.

Thanks for your feedback!

Share on social media :

Google+ Twitter Facebook
Thanks for your feedback!
We will review it shortly.